Thursday, May 28, 2015

Experiments in the Kitchen: {Gluten and Dairy Free} Southwestern Black Bean Quinoa Salad

I made this tonight and it turned out to be quite delicious.  The mango added something really nice.  I liked that when I was done I felt like I had given myself a powerful dinner packed with nutrients.  I added some extra garlic and salt and pepper. I had some green salsa on hand that I put on top. This made it even better!
This is what I said about it previously:

Skinny Taste made this delicious recipe.  I wish I could jump into the photo and eat it for lunch!  I love the colors and the wholesome ingredients. This would be great to take on the road or for to work for lunch. I have a new appreciation for Quinoa lately.  Yum!
photo from Skinny Taste

Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6  Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 164 • Fat: 4 g • Protein: 6 g • Carb: 27 g • Fiber: 7 g • Sugar: 11.6 g
Sodium: 93 mg 

Ingredients:

  • 15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh mango
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
  • juice from 1 medium lemon or lime
  • 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground turmeric

Directions:

Mix together the beans, quinoa, corn, bell pepper, mango, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño in a mixing bowl.

Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric in a small bowl.

Drizzle over the mixture and toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment