Thursday, June 18, 2020

Gluten Free Bread Making in the Bread Maker

I have now made about 17 loaves of bread with this beauty and it has become so easy that I can whip up the ingredients in about 5 minutes. By putting it on the dark setting for the crust it is always crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. I can't say enough good things about it. Even my gluten loving family members beg for some. 

This is the Cuisinart Bread Maker I received recently for a gift. I must say it is rocking my world right now. It takes just a few minutes and a few buttons to press and the amazing aroma of bread starts wafting through the house.  I have made GF bread by hand and from scratch over the years with good success. It's just the sheer time consumption that goes with it which has turned me off and made it a rare happening.  This Bread Maker is basically $116 and comes with a very specific gluten-free baking setting. I chose it because I read reviews on it that said people have had great success making gluten free bread in it.  As I mentioned I bought Annalise G. Robert's Gluten Free Bread Maker cookbook and have started tweaking it to come up with my own fun breads. So far this is my favorite recipe:

1 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 packet or 2 and 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 cup millet flour
1 cup tapioca starch(or 1/2 cup tapioca and 1/2 cup corn starch)
1/2 cup potato starch
1 tsp salt
3 TBS sugar

Mix the above ingredients together.

Separately mix together the following:
1 and 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp oil

Take the warm water (not too hot and not luke warm) and oil. Put it in the bread pan (first make sure everything is firmly in place). Take the flour mixture and put it over the top spreading it out (without pressing down) until all of the liquid is covered. Turn it on. As it is stirring take a spatula at some point and push the extra flour around the edges into the mixture.

My favorite add in:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Mix these together and reserve 2 TBS of the mixture. When the "add mix in" beeping starts stir in the sugar and cinnamon. (about 6 stirs). Sprinkle the remaining 2 TBS on top.  My next goal is to try this with brown sugar instead of the regular sugar. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Just what I was looking for! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, it tasted wonderful! I used Hamilton beach machine and subbed arrowroot and extra potato starch because I was out of tapioca and I added 2 Tbsp. psyllium husks. :)

    ReplyDelete