Monday, September 10, 2012

Freezer Crockpot Cooking

Kojo designs comes up with a genius idea.It's another way to simplify cooking. She put the ingredients for recipes in bags, writes on the bag what to add to it, and then puts it in the freezer. All she has to do is throw it in the crockpot and walla! Most of them are allergy friendly or easy to make allergy friendly. Here are a handful of her recipes (below). To find more go here. I find this idea inspiring, and am excited about her recipes!!
photo by kojodesigns (as is apparent!)



RECIPES
Honey Rosemary Chicken
IN THE BAG- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces, 1/3 c balsamic vinegar, 1/3 c honey, 1/3 c olive oil, 3 T chopped fresh rosemary, 1 t salt. Let marinate for several hours in the refrigerator before freezing.
TO COOK- Let defrost completely in the fridge. Add 1 cup of water and the contents of the bag to the crockpot. Then cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Ten minutes before serving, add cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
TO SERVE- Serve over couscous (or rice). Be generous with the sauce as you ladle- it’s fabulous.
Coconut Curry Chicken (modified from this Chicken Curry recipe at Martha Stewart)
IN THE BAG- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 2 lbs. of chopped butternut squash, 2 medium onions,chopped, 8 minced garlic cloves, 1 oz fresh ginger, 2 T curry powder,1 t ground coriander, 1 t ground cumin, coarse salt
TO COOK- Add the contents of the bag and a can of coconut milk to a slow cooker and cook on low all day. 25 minutes before serving, add another can of coconut milk and a bag of frozen peas.
TO SERVE- Garnish with chopped cashews and cilantro (except if you’re us and you hate cilantro- then just garnish with cashews).
Lime Salsa Chicken (modified from the Cilantro Chicken recipe at Pip & Ebby)
IN THE BAG- Juice from one lime, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional), a 1.25-oz. package taco seasoning, 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional), 3 lbs. boneless chicken breasts or thighs, 1 chopped red pepper, and 1/2 onion, chopped
TO COOK- In a slow cooker, mix together the contents of the bag and one 24-ounce jar of salsa (I used mango salsa, but use whatever kind of salsa you like). Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
TO SERVE- Serve in corn tortillas with rice.
Fig Balsamic Chicken (recipe adapted from this recipe at What’s Cookin Chicago)
IN THE BAG- Brown 2 lbs of chicken and saute one onion and two cloves of garlic in olive oil until softened, then add of the above to a freezer bag. Also add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup balsamic fig jam, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano,1 teaspoon rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1 cup dried figs. **Two notes- the original recipe calls for all of the spices to be dried, but I had all of them growing in our garden, so I just used those. Substitute dried spices if that’s easier/cheaper for you. Also, I had balsamic fig jam on hand- if you don’t, just add 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar.
TO COOK- Defrost the bag completely in the fridge. Add the contents of the bag plus one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes to the crockpot. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8
TO SERVE- Serve over rice or potatoes.
Santa Fe Chicken
IN THE BAG- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, 1 chopped red pepper, ½  onion, chopped, 1/2 t cumin, 2 T cilantro (optional).
TO COOK- Add the contents of the bag plus 1 can of black beans, 1 can of corn and 1 medium sized jar of salsa to a crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on high for 6-8 hours.
TO SERVE- Serve over rice.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I'm having trouble leaving a comment on this awesome post....hope this works...again!!! ;) I love all of these recipes and will tweak them according to my family's food sensitivities. My son and I have a sensitivity to tomatoes. Any suggestions on what I can substitute for tomatoes in chili and stew crockpot recipes? My family loves both of my recipes BUT with this recent change in our diet it's been challengin. Any advice would be welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got my other messages (below on my post). I saw this today and thought of you. http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/09/08/tomatoless-meat-sauce/

      Delete
    2. Oh thanks for all of your suggestions Heather! I will try implementing them once I start my Fall freezer cooking. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there!
    Thank you for stopping by! This might sound strange, but in chili I would use tomatillos (green and look like tomatoes) that are usually used in green salsas, as well a bunch of finely chopped red bell pepper. I think this would give the color and some acidity. It won't turn out exactly the same, but is what I'd try. Maybe some lime, too, if you can tolerate it. I've made a green chili that was good, and this would be similar, but would give some red color (and added nutrition). Just keep an eye on the spice! For a stew, I'd possibly just use some chopped red pepper. I've left out the tomato and haven't noticed a big difference personally. But I don't do a stew with heavy tomato flavor usually. May I suggest doing this as a stew in the crock pot? http://allergy-friendlytastebuds.blogspot.com/2012/09/experiments-in-kitchen.html I think you could easily leave out the tomato paste and still have it rock your world. Let me know how things work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatillos definitely need to be cooked like crazy. So either cooked in the oven for at least a half an hour or in the crock pot all day. I hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Or this idea. With a gluten free beer? http://chili.com/tomatoless_chili/index.html

      Delete