Tuesday, April 12, 2016

{Gluten and Dairy Free} Asparagus with White Bean and Artichoke Aioli

I love this recipe from One Green Planet. My SIL introduced me to this recipe.  It takes a staple like asparagus and a turns it into a whole foods, flavorful party in your mouth.  I like to roast my asparagus. I snap off the stems, drizzle it with oil, salt and pepper. Then I roll it around until it is well covered. I put it in an oven at 400F for about 10 minutes.  I can never go back to eating it any other way. My other SIL, on the other side,  introduced me to this method and it's amazing!  If you pair it with the aioli, it would be dynamite.

photo from One Green Planet

STEAMED ASPARAGUS WITH WHITE BEAN AND ARTICHOKE AIOLI [VEGAN]

THIS RECIPE IS :

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 pound asparagus, washed
  • 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 6 artichoke hearts from a can, drained
  • 6-8 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnishing
  • Freshly ground black pepper

PREPARATION

    1. Cut off and discard the ends of asparagus.
    2. Place a steamer basket inside a large pot. Fill it with 2 cups of water. Place the asparagus inside the basket. Cover and steam until asparagus are bright green and tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove asparagus from the basket and place on a large plate.
    3. Meanwhile, place garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, bean, ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, artichoke hearts, and basil leaves in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
    4. Spoon it over asparagus or serve it on the side. Right before serving, sprinkle it with black pepper.

    NOTES

    This recipe makes two cups of aioli. You can store leftovers in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment