Friday, April 22, 2016

{Gluten and Dairy Free} Smoky Salsa Verde

I love this salsa from Real Simple. I varied it a fair bit. We are talking, wow! It is smoky, citrusy and has just a little kick. I could eat it all day. We served it on fajitas.



1/2 red onion sliced in thick slices
1 jalapeno
1/2 pound tomatillos, outer shells removed
1 poblano pepper (the large green ones)
1 lime, juiced
grapeseed oil
salt
optional: 2/3 cup loose cilantro


Set your oven to broil on high. Put the rack about 5 inches from the top.  Put the peppers, onion and tomatillos in the pain. Drizzle with salt and oil and roll them around until they are well covered. Put under the broiler turning every few minutes to get the black char marks to be made in different parts of the peppers, tomatillos and onion. I didn't turn my onion. Grill about 8 minutes until they have char all over in various spots. Let cool completely. Chop up the onion.  Cut open the peppers, removing the seeds and the stem. Put all ingredients in the blender including the juice of the lime and the washed cilantro. Blend until nice and smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you want it extra spicy add the seeds.  Without the seeds it was just right for myself and my kids. It had a little kick, but not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment