Saturday, June 30, 2012

Review of Trader Joe's Rice Bread


I love Trader Joe's bread. It is sugar, gluten, soy, egg, and dairy free. When I first had it, I wasn't impressed. But after realizing a few things about it, I am a regular buyer. One loaf costs about $3.50. It is unsweetened which is something I really like. It also has just a few basic ingredients. I buy a loaf, freeze it and then just take out slices as needed. The biggest secret of this bread is toasting it. . . TWICE. I'm serious. The texture feels off, especially if you are recently gluten free. But if you toast it twice (make sure the toaster setting isn't too hot) this is vastly improved. I use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches (with daiya cheese), french toast (here), croutons (toasted and rolled in olive oil, garlic powder and italian seasoning) and salmon salad sandwiches (with soy free vegenaise mayo).  I love the idea of always making my own bread, but realistically it often can't happen. So having a loaf in my freezer that I can pop in the toaster at any moment works out really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment