Friday, February 24, 2012

Allergy Friendly French Toast


I tried this today using hemp milk. I think it made it a little richer.  If you only avoid dairy like my kids you can use rice milk with eggs, and regular bread making it as usual. But if you are gluten free, gluten free bread is kind of a strange creation. It doesn't absorb milk the same as wheat bread, so this recipe below was a great find for us. 

My husband figured out the secrets of french toast for me, and I am beyond grateful. I tend to buy Trader Joes bread or make bread and then freeze it.  You just put a frozen slice in a plate with 1/4-1/2 inch rice milk (or other milk sub) and 1/2 tsp or so cinnamon. Nuke it for 30 seconds. Turn it over and nuke it again for 30 seconds. Let it sit for a minute. If your bread is not frozen just let it sit in the milk mixture for 30 seconds, flip it over, and let it sit for 30 seconds more (and skip the nuking). Meanwhile, get a pan really hot with coconut oil or grapeseed oil in it. Turn the heat to medium when you add the bread. Turn it over when golden brown. I cover mine with real maple syrup, and berries or bananas. It comes out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.  I don't even miss the real thing.
I am linking this up on a fun blog called willingcook here that has a round up of allergy-friendly foods from a ton of sources every Wednesday. Check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us last week on AFW! Be sure to check back this week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

    Be Well,
    --AFW Hostesses

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey we're the star of your blog! woohoo, thx for caring so much about us in this process, heather, your're invaluable!

    ReplyDelete