Thursday, July 12, 2012

Allergy-friendly Watermelon Granita


I found this great recipe from Whole Foods here.   I made a half batch which was enough for 4 people. Instead of honey I used maple syrup, and instead of lime juice I used pomegranate. I used 2 TBS of each even though half of a batch would call for 1TBS. I thought it sounded quite labor intensive, because I have never made a granita before. However, I just set a timer, and stirred it when it went off. I was home anyways so it ended up not being a big deal. I think it needed 3 and 1/2 hours, but we took it out at 3 hours because we needed to eat it before bed time. It tasted wholesome and refreshing. Delish! If I were to do it again, I think I'd use the lime, but the pomegranate was good. 



and  a good excuse to use china


Serves 8

This icy treat makes the most of rich ripe watermelon. Melons can vary in flavor quite a bit, so taste the mixture before freezing and add more honey or lime if desired.

Ingredients

8 cups seedless watermelon chunks, divided
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or basil (optional) 

Method

Place half of watermelon in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour into a 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Add remaining watermelon to the processor along with honey and lime juice and process until smooth. Pour into the baking dish, stir until combined, and place uncovered in the freezer. Freeze until ice begins to form around edges of pan, about 30 minutes. Rake with a fork to break up large ice clumps; return to freezer; continue stirring about every 30 minutes until all liquid is crystalized, about 3 hours total.

Using a large fork, flake granita into bowls or into an airtight container to freeze up to 1 week. Serve garnished with mint or basil, if desired. 

Nutrition

Per serving: 60 calories (0 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 16g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 1g protein  
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.

No comments:

Post a Comment