Saturday, August 25, 2012

Gluten-Free Crockpot Biscuits


What? Biscuits in the crockpot? I pretty much love my crockpot. Not as much as the gal who does a year of gluten free recipes in the crockpot (here) but there is definitely love there. Not only can you make coconut yogurt in your crockpot (see post here), but you can make cinnamon biscuits thanks to the frugal farm wife. See the post here! Photos are from the frugalfarmwife.com. I combined a few things to make it easier to see. I also included my subs. If anyone tries this, I'd love to hear results!



Gluten-Free Cinnamon Biscuits
    1 recipe of biscuit dough with 2-3 Tablespoons of extra flour mix.
    2 Tablespoons melted butter ( I would use grapeseed oil)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup raw sugar (I used Brown Sugar)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Biscuit dough recipe
1c. gluten-free flour mix
1/4 t. salt
1t. baking powder
1t. guar gum
1T sugar (opt.)
1/4 c. cold butter, lard, or coconut oil*
1 small egg (I would use egg replacer)
1/2 c. milk (I would use rice milk)
To make biscuits: mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter/oil. Mix in egg and milk and divide into muffins. 
*If you want to use coconut oil, make sure it's cold. I also recommend mixing it half and half with either butter (my preference) or lard.


To finish making them in the crockpot:
Grease the crockpot with butter 
Melt butter on the stovetop and stir vanilla into it. Pour it into a small bowl.
Combine sugar and cinnamon in another small bowl. Roll a walnut sized piece of dough into a biscuit shape. (Note: rolling biscuits out onto a floured surface will incorporate too much flour into your dough making them very dense - thus, the hand rolling method.)
Dip biscuits into melted butter mixture, then into cinnamon sugar mixture. Put in crockpot in a single layer.
Turn crockpot on high for about 2 hours - depending on your crockpot of course.
You can glaze or frost these if want. I ended up making some icing for my icing-fanatic hubby. grin
Also, The original recipe says to cover the biscuits with a paper towel while they cook to reduce moisture, but I didn't, and the bicuits didn't turn out soggy at all.
I'm actually so impressed with the way they cooked up in the crockpot that I'm thinking of making all of our biscuits that way - at least for the rest of the summer. Gabriel will be happy to have biscuits and gavy for breakfast without heating up th oven. smile

No comments:

Post a Comment