Wednesday, December 25, 2019

{Gluten and Dairy Free} Butterhorns:Our Favorite SECRET Christmas Treat!


The day has finally come! I have been carrying the baton from my husband's side of the family making these amazing rolls that his mother makes. The originals are filled with butter and gluten. First I made them dairy free without a hitch for my son. No one could even tell the difference! Then when my daughter went gluten free I decided to start trying to make them gluten free. There were a few years of rolls that were pretty pathetic. I would hardly call them butterhorns. Last year was a little better. This year, I made a few tweaks and came out with the closest thing I've ever had. Even my husband, the butterhorn connoisseur, gave me the two thumbs up. The lucky dog still eats the other ones, so when he says it tastes like them, it really means something! I've been gluten free for 10 years, so I am going on my memories from a decade ago!  So, it's my pleasure to share these with you!

1 and 3/4 cups rice milk (or other milk alternative)
1/6 cup water
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS  Earth's Balance
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1and 1/2 heaping tsps yeast
2 eggs separated (or 6 TBS applesauce)

2 and 1/2 cups brown rice flour or sorghum
1 cup tapioca starch
1 and 1/2 cups potato starch (not flour!)
3 tsp guar gum

more Earth's Balance (you need almost a full container in total)
a

Vanilla frosting:

Ingredients
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup palm shortening or Earth's Balance (softened)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons milk or milk substitute

Put the above ingredients in a bowl. Whip with a mixer until well blended. If it's too runny for your taste add a little powdered sugar. If it's too thick for your taste, add a little more milk substitute.  I use this one for decorating frosting. For these I would add a splash more of milk substitute until it is creamy.



Optional toppings:
Shaved Almonds
Pecans
Coconut
Walnuts
Sprinkles

Heat the rice milk, water, earth's balance, sugar, vanilla and salt in a sauce pan until the earth's balance has melted and then cool. When lukewarm (about an hour after started cooling) add the yeast. It should be warm, but not "hot".  Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the warm liquid mixture and beating the egg white separately until they are peaked and foamy (like a meringue). Mix the brown rice flour, guar gum, tapioca starch and potato starch together. Add to the flour mixture the liquid mixture and the egg whites, mix well with a spoon and then your hands until it makes a sticky dough. Cover and put in a warm place for 45 minutes to let it rise.

Divide dough into thirds. On parchment paper, that is sprinkled with brown rice flour, roll out 1/3 of the dough until it is about 3/4 an inch thick.  Smother with a layer of Earth's Balance. Starting on the long side of the rectangle roll up the dough into a roll. Cut into 1 inch sections. Put the round circles of dough onto a pan and press down. Cook at 350F for 12-14 minutes until cooked through. Let cool on a cooling rack. Frost with Vanilla frosting and add dip tops in desired toppings. Warm slightly in the oven before serving, until the frosting is oozy! Store in an airtight bag and frost right before serving. May be frozen up to a month.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I thought you might remember the originals!

      Delete
  2. The originals were TASTY!

    Do you think I could use xantham gum instead of guar ?

    ReplyDelete