Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Subs for Corn

Are you trying to reduce or eradicate corn from your diet? Here are two of my favorite tips. You can sub tapioca or potato starch for corn starch in most recipes (including pies where I'd use tapioca starch). For this sub just use equal amounts of tapioca for however much corn starch the recipe calls for.

Baking powder can be a source of gluten. If you are gluten free you can make sure your baking powder is gluten free, or you can make your own. I found this wonderful recipe in the cookbook, "Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook." Unlike many baking powders that contain corn, this one is corn free.  I actually prefer this to baking powder. I buy my arrowroot powder at Manna Mills in the herb section because it is way cheaper. You can also find it at Fred Meyer.

baking powder:
1/4 baking soda
1/2 cup cream of tartar
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
(store in an air tight container in a cool dry place)

2 comments:

  1. how helpful!! this is a really great post! thank you!

    ReplyDelete