|photo from thewillingcook.com|
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake (gluten, dairy, & egg-free)
(made in a 6qt. slow cooker; half recipe for smaller slow cooker)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour (use certified gluten-free, if necessary)*
- 1/4 cup ground chia seed*
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (roughly) coconut oil or butter
- 2/3 cups chocolate chips (Enjoy Life is a good dairy-free brand)
- 1 cup white sugar + 1/2 cup white sugar (added separately)
- 6 Tbsp cocoa + 1/2 cup cocoa (added separately)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup allowed milk (cow, rice, almond, soy, etc.)
- 2 EnerG egg replacer (3 tsp powder + 4 Tbsp water); or 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- (optional: summer berries, powdered sugar, sliced almonds, etc.)
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flours, chia seed, baking powder, and salt.
- In a glass bowl, melt together (you can use the microwave) the coconut oil (or butter) and chocolate chips until smooth, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 cup of white sugar, 6 Tbsp cocoa, vanilla, milk, and prepared EnerG egg replacer, until well blended.
- Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour mixture. Mix together on medium speed until well combined. Spread this batter into a slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray.
- In the microwave (using the same glass bowl from earlier), heat up the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar and brown sugar with the water until hot (about 2 minutes). Add in the remaining 1/2 cup cocoa; stir until sugars dissolve. Pour this mixture over top the cake batter already in the slow cooker. It will look like muddy water.
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours (mine took about 1 hour 20 minutes). You’ll notice it’s done when the batter starts to pull away from the edges and it looks solid (at least on the outer rim). Remove the lid from the slow cooker and turn it off (be careful not to let the water from the lid drip into the cake). Allow the cake to sit without the lid for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Scoop out the outer “cakey” rim of the lava cake, followed by the pudding and icing center. Top with your favorite summer fruit and powdered sugar. Enjoy your allergy-friendly chocolate goodness!