Monday, October 8, 2012

Chicken Soup with Butternut and Kale

Coupon Connections has this great Paleo friendly recipe that is also allergy friendly. I will use pomegranate juice from T Joes or coconut aminos instead of the worchestershire sauce. Although I've heard there is a GF version of Worchestershire sauce. Have you tried it?

I love soups. Especially in the fall. My crockpot is my favorite way to make one. There is really something about knowing you have hot soup waiting for you at the end of the day. I love that most of the ingredients are ones I have on hand.
photo from coupon connections


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced,
3 cloves garlic, crushed,
1 inch grated fresh ginger, or 1 teaspoon ground
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 can beans (white kidney or navy)
2 cups shredded chicken
3 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons (1/2 small can) tomato paste
1 bunch kale, coarsely chopped
How to prepare:
Saute onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil until onions are opaque. Add cumin, paprika, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes then add tomatoes and simmer until reduced. Add broth, tomato paste, butternut, beans, chicken and bay leaf. Simmer until butternut is soft. Add worchestershire  and kale. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Recipe created by Jessica Furlan
Update Variation:
Tonight I made the soup again and it was fantastic! I left out the beans, but added about 1 tablespoon Organic Better Than Bouillon.
For more healthy inspiration check out Amber’s 30 Minute Meal Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment