Saturday, October 6, 2012

Vegan No-Bake Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pie was my husband's favorite when we got married. I made an effort to make or buy him a pumpkin pie often to make his day over the years. For his birthday one year I think he ended up with four pumpkin pies from different people. It got to the point that right now he's actually almost pumpkined out. It's been awhile and I have a feeling this pie will be warmly welcomed by all at my house. I can't believe it is low sugar, no egg and no bake! I will use macadamias for the crust (from Trader Joes) and probably use all date or maple sugar. It appears from her blog that the agar powder goes into the pumpkin mixture, although this recipe I took from there makes it a little unclear.  Go here for this amazing recipe!



Crust:

Add to food processor:

2 cups almond meal flour (I use Bob's) or ground walnuts*
8 soft pitted dates (soak first if they are dry)
1 tsp cinnamon

Puree until it begins sticking together. 

Press into a deep ceramic pie dish.
Note: You don't need to grease or line the dish first. The raw crust won't stick.

Filling:

Add to a small pot:

1.5 cups coconut milk
1.5 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut sugar (which is low glycemic index)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 to 3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Optional (for chai flavor): 1/2 tsp cardamom

Simmer till coconut sugar is just dissolved.

Add:
4 tsp agar powder (Not flakes! You would need far more if you use flakes!)

Whisk agar powder  vigorously while simmering for about one minute.

Pour over crust.

Refrigerate to set.

I prefer to eat it room temperature.

*Ground walnuts are my favorite. I think they create a crust that tastes similar to a graham cracker crust.  But I used almond flour in the photo above.

2 comments:

  1. OHHHHH! This is right up my alley- have everything on hand for our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner BUT the agar powder. Any suggestions for an alternative and does it hold everything together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I noticed on her blog that in another similar recipe she used: 3 tbsp Gelatin that has been completely dissolved into 1/4 cup boiling water instead. She added that to the pumpkin mixture before refrigerating overnight. (http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2010/10/pumpkin-pie-egg-free-gluten-free-no.html) I bet that is easier to come by. I think this or the agar powder are what make this no-bake pie possible. I use Knox brand unflavored gelatin. I hope that helps. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete