Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Allergy-friendly Chicken Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Garlic


photo from My Big Fat Grain Free Life

She had me at roasted red peppers. I truly love me some roasted red peppers. I read that they have a crazy amount of vitamin c which makes me feel even better about eating them. My Big Fat Grain Free Life shares this great recipe. I would eat it on a slice of GF bread, but it sounds like it would be nice on a green salad as well. 
Ingredients:
1 large red bell pepper
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed (guess how much I use?) 
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (flat leaf if you can get it but curly works too)
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
Instructions:
Line oven rack with aluminum foil.  Turn oven on to broil.  Place red pepper on foil and roast until the skin turns black.  Using tongs, rotate pepper so it chars on all sides.  
Remove from oven and place in a bowl with foil (or a cover of some kind) on top.  Allow the pepper to sit as the steam loosens the skin.  Once cool enough to handle, peel pepper and pull out the stem and seeds.  If you must, give a light rinse in a bowl of cold water just to get the seeds off.  Dice pepper.
In a large bowl, add chicken, diced pepper, garlic and parsley.  Add olive oil to taste (liberally) and salt and pepper.  Give a stir with a large fork.  Adjust olive oil and seasonings. 
This chicken salad is better the longer it sits.

No comments:

Post a Comment