Thursday, June 12, 2014

Allergy-friendly Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream

You heard me. Cookie dough ice cream. I was hankering this the other day. I have taken it from Annalise G Roberts cookbook on the side bar called "Gluten Free Baking Classics". I will include her original and then put in some changes I made. You can make half the dough into balls, freeze them and then add to TEMPT vanilla ice cream. This was my all time favorite dessert before going off foods that bothered me. I welcome it back like an old friend.

1 cup vegetable shortening (not butter or margarine) * I used Spectrum palm shortening
1 cup granulated sugar (you can use 1/2 cup pure maple syrup in liquid form and 1/2 cup xylitol instead of both sugars)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs (I used egg replacer)
1 TBS pure vanilla extract (I used GF Costco brand)
2 cups plus 2 TBS Brown Rice Flour mix (the ratio is 1 cup brown rice flour to 2/3 cup potato starch to 1/3 cup tapioca starch) * I added one more TBS to balance out the liquid from using maple syrup
1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz chocolate chips (I use "Enjoy Life")
1 cup nuts, optional (I didn't add these)


  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Position rack in the center of oven. Lightly grease cookie sheet with cooking spray. 
  2. Beat shortening and both sugars at medium speed in large bowl of electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
  3. Add flour, baking soda, and xanthan gum, and salt; mix at medium speed until well blended. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts.
  4. Drop heaping teaspoons of dough onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in center of oven for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.  Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container
  5. Best when eaten within 3 days of baking. After 3 days store in the fridge. Can be kept in fridge up to two weeks or frozen up to one month. Unbaked dough can be kept in the fridge up to three days if sealed in a tight container or frozen up to one month. To freezer cover dough with plastic wrap and place inside tightly sealed plastic container so no air touches dough.



No comments:

Post a Comment