Tuesday, September 8, 2015

{Gluten and Dairy Free} Asian Salmon with a Colorful Stirfry

I love this sauce like no one's business. I first discovered it in one of my favorite cookbooks.  I use tamari or coconut aminos instead of the soy sauce.  It's to die for. You can leave out the red pepper or the cilantro if you aren't a fan of heat or cilantro, and it's still amazing.  The recipe yields 2 cups.

Ingredients

  • Soy Joy sauce (see below)
  • 1 and 1/2 pounds salmon
  • Veggies of Choice for Stirfry

I used snap peas, red pepper, carrot, green onion, mushrooms and broccoli.
Sesame oil (or another high heat oil like canola or coconut oil)


  • White or Brown Rice

(I prepare mine with some salt and sesame oil mixed into the water) You can use coconut oil, too!


  • Optional:

Oyster mushrooms sauteed in tamari and a splash of Mirin!

Directions:

Make the Soy Joy sauce.  Put the salmon fillets in a baking dish (9 x11). Drizzle with the soy joy sauce and cook at 400F for about 15 minutes. Check for it to lighten in color and become flakey in texture.

Meanwhile, chop up the veggies. Stir fry with coconut or sesame oil until slightly tender, but firm.  Add 1/2 cup of the soy joy sauce, and then 2 TBS of cornstarch mixed in 3 TBS of water near the end.  This will make the sauce thicken. The corn starch and water should be a thick liquid. Add more water if necessary. Stir into stir fry.  Salt to taste.

Serve the salmon with the rice and Veggies. I added some Oyster Mushrooms that were sauteed with tamari and a splash of mirin on top.  This goes well with Thai Chili Sauce if you can have it! I add a bit of spice to mine.

Here's the sauce adapted from the amazing Isabel Cruz. I changed a number of things, but she was my inspiration, so I wanted to give her credit.

  • 34cup tamari (wheat free) soy sauce or coconut aminos
  • 12cup gingerroot, chopped
  • 2garlic cloves, chopped
  • 12cup brown sugar (I omit this and use more honey)
  • 1cup cilantro, chopped
  • 12cup green onion, chopped
  • 1teaspoon chili flakes
  • 14cup dark sesame oil or melted coconut oil
  • 14cup honey

No comments:

Post a Comment