Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Dairy Free Secret

I posted this before, but thought it is worth repeating. This is a great tool for your dairy free arsenal. It's plum vinegar of all things. My friend told me to use it to add a cheesy flavor to dishes. I was really pleasantly surprised by the result. I was making a "cheese" sauce by using the gluten free mixture mentioned in my substitutes, olive oil, daiya cheese and rice milk. I used the daiya cheese sparingly since it is pricey. It tasted  barely cheesy. So I added the tiniest amount more of daiya and whipped out this plum vinegar. Walla! It truly made a big difference. Just a few shakes of it, and the cheesy flavor was there. My friend says she shakes some on eggs. I can see it adding a lot of flavor to things. Go here to find out more.

2 comments:

  1. wow! I never thought of it as cheesy! now, I'm going to have to try it...I think we have some ume plum sauce I've been saving. I wonder if that would work as well as the vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amy! I'm not familiar with the ume plum sauce, so I'm not sure. The vinegar is very high in sodium and only takes the smallest amount to make something cheesy. If you try it, please let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete