Thursday, February 2, 2012

Where to Buy Allergy Friendly Pies in Seattle

I went to Jodee's Desserts tonight in Wallingford. Can I just say it blew my mind? What I read on yelp.com said it had gluten free and dairy free pies. I anticipated their pies would be full of soy. How else do you make a creamy pie? But, boy was I wrong. I chose Key Lime Pie. It was so rich and so creamy. She told me the pie is made of coconut meat, lime, agave nectar, and avocado. The crust was made from dates, coconut, and macadamia nuts. It was AMAZING! My husband who eats EVERYTHING even enjoyed it. We both thought it was definitely a little different than "regular" key lime pie. But it was creamy, and it was delicious. One piece cost $5.95. There were a lot of other pies to choose from. They all are low glycemic pies. Most had cashews or almonds in their crusts. Other pies they have include chocolate cherry, pumpkin pie (seasonal), tiramisu, vanilla/chocolate swirl, chocolate mousse, strazzleberry (seasonal), peppermint patty, pecan praline, and banana cream. This little place also serve smoothies, and coffees. They typically use almond milk,but they will substitute other milks like rice or hemp if you would like. Jodee's even makes pies for special orders. She said you can order one where they leave out something, or use a different nut,etc to accommodate you. The pies are  6.5" for $35, 8" for $55 and 9" for $65. It's a lot of money for a pie, but if you think of it being custom made, it's a pretty unique thing that is really hard to find.  I just have two questions. What is a strazzleberry? And where has this place been all of my life? I wish I had taken a picture. But I was out on a date with my husband and it disappeared faster than you can say strazzleberry. Go here to find out more.

1 comment: