Saturday, June 2, 2012

Discovery for the Dairy Deprived

So, a year or so ago I stumbled upon this place on-line. It's a creamery that started because their son, now 13, had an obvious problem with cow's milk. What started out as buying a sheep to give him milk to drink, turned into this full fledge creamery of delight where the below cheeses (and a cream cheese not listed) are made by hand. It's called the Black Sheep Creamery, is located in Chehalis, and is sold in both Portland and Seattle. I don't know why I never finished my journey to find this cheese. I don't know what could have distracted me for so long. But today is the day. Yesterday I called and got  the full scoop from the owner of the creamery. He told me that at the Edmond's Farmer's market they have a farm called "Sun Valley" that sells their products. As he listed off what might be there to choose from, my mouth was watering and my imagination went wild. Before I knew it, I was dreaming of showing up with handfuls of cash, eager to take anything and everything off of their hands. I almost asked how much it was, but like when you are at a fine restaurant, I felt embarrassed to ask. At this point, does it matter? I may not be able to afford a lot of it, but I will pay whatever it takes to try it!

Hold on. "Why did you go so bananas?," you may ask. You see, I miss cheese more than anything. There are many things I have been living without for many years. Before realizing dairy was making me so sick and tired, I ate cheese like it was going out of style.  If I was stranded on a desert island with one food for the rest of my life, I would not even hesitate before choosing cheese. There would be no question. I could go the rest of my life without chocolate. Gluten is not fun to leave behind, but hey, I can handle it. But I miss cheese every single day. I would give my right arm to eat a huge block without the terrible consequences. Truth be told it was the last thing I gave up, even though it is probably my worst food intolerance.  Before I bore you to tears with my love affair with cheese, I'll move on.

photo from blacksheepcreamery
At this point, I've reigned in the horses. I have come to my senses, and plan on only buying one thing at this market today to give it the test. How on earth I'll choose, is beyond me. My kids don't even remember what "real" cheese tastes like, so this will be really interesting to see what they think. It will be a fine adventure. Without further ado, this is their website here. Below are there cheeses. These are the locations where you can find it for yourself. They even have tours on Saturday, that show how to make cheese. I'll report back what happens!


-The Mopsy's Best, as always, has two or three flavors that wake up and roll over your tongue and hit you once again just when you think you had enough.  What fun to sell these cheeses at Market.  What is more fun is to watch you all sample them and catch that second wave of flavor and ride it to the end.  Mopsy's Best is generally available from June to October

-Queso de Oveja, is a Spanish recipe that has a nice sharp flavor and a very mellow finish.  It has been very well received and enjoyed.  Look for this one in July to November
-The St Helens is a washed curd cheese that will develop a natural rind which is brushed with B Linens to impart a bit of flavor.  This cheese is made in April so it becomes available July to September.
-The Black Sheep Tomme has a very nutty twist.  We age that cheese 5 months.  It needs the time to mellow.  It is wonderful cut thin and cherished with a good Syrah or grated over soups or noodle dishes.  
-Muenster, a monster!  Stinky cheese, at least to me.....others who like strong flavors could not get enough of it!  Muensters are generally available June July and August
-Tin Willow Tomme is a hit from the milk of Terry Felda at the Tin Willows Farm in Lexington Oregon.  Expansion of our own flock is limited by what land we have.  From the Tin Willows Farm comes a wonderful milk that brings grass and sage flavor to the cheese.    We cut into the Tommes in late September and generally have them through May.
-Fresh Pecorino.  The Fresh Pecorino is a young pecorino that is rumored to be similar to a Pecorino Toscano.  It has a young smooth paste but a quick sharp flavor.  This cheese is available during the summer June to September.
-Aged Pecorino is aged from 9-12 months.  This cheese imparts a nutty, salty, flavor to all you cold wintery dishes eaten while waiting from spring and summer to return.  It is generally available from January to May.

-We also have Feta.  Yummy creamy feta from March to September.

No comments:

Post a Comment