Heather of glutenfreecat.com guest posted here. I love her little secrets to a satisfying GF Summer salad.
Here are 6 steps for building a satisfying gluten-free summer salad.
1. Base: Start with a few leaves – spinach, arugula, bibb, romaine, herb mixture – but just a few leaves. Let steps 2-6 take the focus.
2. Color: Add as much color as possible – orange carrots, golden beets, red radishes, yellow peppers, purple cabbage. The more color, the more flavor, the more nutrients, the more satisfaction.
3. Sweetness: Add fruit for sweetness – blueberries, blackberries, pear slices, peaches – whatever is fresh and available to add a sweet edge.
4. Crunch: Texture differences help satiety. Try some crunchy cabbage strips, cauliflower bits, pumpkin seeds, slivered nuts, sprouts, fresh corn kernels.
5. Protein – Add strips of lean meat, beans, wedges of hard-boiled egg, shredded cheese, a dollop of hummus.
6. Drizzle: Drizzle your salad with olive oil, or make your own salad dressing by pureeing olive oil with veggies like roasted red pepper.
|from glutenfreecat.com- Love the hearts!|
Enjoy the bounty and flavors of summer, and celebrate another way that you can embrace your gluten-free life naturally