|photo from namelymarley.com|
Namely Marley whipped up this fantastic vegan jalapeno popper recipe. I started drooling the minute I saw it. Daiya cheese is so sensational. It has brought the yummy back for those of us who are dairy, nut and soy free.
Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
- 10 jalapeños
- 1/2 container of Daiya Jalapeño Garlic Harvarti Style Wedge, shredded
- 1/2 container dairy-free cream cheese, softened (my favorite is Tofutti’s Original Better than Cream Cheese)
- 1 tablespoon soy milk (plain…not vanilla flavored)
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 1 – 2 teaspoons The Vegg (optional)
- 1/2 cup flour (use gluten-free if that’s your preference)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (use crushed gluten-free crackers if that’s your preference)
- Warm the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray
- Cut the jalapeños in half and remove seeds. If you haven’t had much experience working with these hot peppers, be forewarned you should wear gloves and be very careful about what you touch. Now is not the time to be watching Steel Magnolias and wiping your nose. Come to think of it, you wouldn’t want to do that while you’re cooking anyway.
- When you’re done, set those hot mamas aside!
- Place the vegan cream cheese and shredded vegan Daiya cheese, 1 tablespoon of soymilk, garlic powder and sea salt in a bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Stuff each halved jalapeño with the vegan cream cheese mixture. You’ll be glad you did!
- In a medium-to-small size bowl, combine the 2 tablespooons of ground flax seed, 3/4 cup of soy milk and stir. If you have or can order The Vegg, add it here and stir. The Vegg is a great product for giving your dishes an eggy flavor, but it’s listed as optional here so don’t sweat it if you don’t have it.
- Place the flour on one plate and the breadcrumbs on another plate. Your dipping station should go in this order: Flour plate, Flaxseed/Egg bowl, Breadcrumbs plate.
- Grab a stuffed jalapeño and roll it in the flour, followed by a dip in the Flaxseed/Egg bowl (roll it around so all sides are covered), followed by a final dip in the breadcrumbs. Fun, eh?
- Place the breaded popper on your prepared pan and repeat the dipping process until you’ve worked your way through each one. Then “pop” them in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow them to cool a little and serve warm!