Monday, February 6, 2012

fusilli with sundried tomato sauce

Oh, yum! I made this for my family today and it was a big hit. I added some shredded cooked chicken to the sauce (or you could do chicken strips) to add protein. (about 1.5 cups)  I also added a zucchini (sliced) and 1/4 of an orange pepper (red would work as well) to the food processor to blend into the sauce. It made a sauce full of protein, veggies and was fantastic!  My husband commented on it's unique, but amazing flavor. My kids gobbled it down and begged for more.  The author is italian (according to the book) and seems to really know her stuff.  This is from "Cooking for Isaiah" by Silvana Nardone (Rachel Ray's editor in chief). See my side bar to find out more.

1 pound corn or rice fusilli pasta or other short pasta

1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp salt
1 TBS lemon juice (I used pomegranate)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Basil leaves torn for serving

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, drain and return to the pot.

2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the chopped tomatoes with their juice, sundried tomatoes, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and salt; process until smooth. With the motor running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Stir the tomato sauce into the pasta and toss; top with basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment