Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Secrets of GF Bread Making and a Gluten Free, Dairy Free Bread Recipe!

This gal is the bomb. I love her cookbook, (see side bar), Whole Life Nutrition. Pretty much everything she does in the kitchen is magical. This recipe here looks fantastic. I especially love her secrets of bread making.  Here is what she says,
"Tips for making Gluten-Free Yeast Breads (from my own experiences):

1. Measure correctly! Use a knife to level off the flour and check at eye-level when measuring liquids in a glass-measure. Just a little bit too much flour or too little water can throw a recipe off. Be careful with the xanthan gum too, if this is off just a little the results could be drastic!

2. Don't bake when you are distracted or very tired. I know this from experience! Did I add that xanthan gum or not??

3. Make sure your oven is calibrated to the correct temperature. An inexpensive oven thermometer placed inside of the oven can tell you what the actual temperature is. Adjust your dial accordingly.

4. Make sure your dry ingredients are well-mixed. There was a time that I forgot to add the xanthan gum to my French Bread recipe (must have been distracted) and so I added it at the end after I had added the wet ingredients. I had french bread dough running out of the side of the pan, it was a total mess!

5. After the dough has been mixed, be your own judge and add a little bit of water (usually a tablespoon at a time) to get the consistency of thick cake batter. I made this recipe again this past Friday and realized it was too thick (I may have over measured ever so slightly or my ingredients held less moisture) and so I added 1/4 cup more of warm water to get the consistency I was looking for. You would do this with baking gluten bread only you would add (wheat) flour a little at a time. I have found that with my vegan, gluten-free bread adding water a little at a time works well.

6. When rising this dough make sure your environment is neither too hot nor too cool. Placing the bread pan in a warm water bath works well. I simply place the bread pan into a 9 x 13-inch pan and add hot tap water, boiling water is too hot for this recipe. The hot water cools fairly quickly and you are left with a nice warm water bath.

7. You be the judge to determine when it has finished rising. It takes me about an hour, though when my kitchen was very warm one day, it only took 40 minutes. Watch it and when it is doubled in size it is ready to go into your preheated oven.

8. If your recipe fails then take a look at these tips again to see where you could have made a mistake.

9. Though this recipe will stay fairly moist for days, freezing individual slices preserves the bread and makes it very easy to pop a slice in the toaster for a quick sandwich when you do not have time to make a whole loaf of bread. Simply slice the bread and place in between pieces of waxed paper then place into an airtight container in your freezer.

10. I almost forgot one very important tip, do not substitute ingredients. My recipes have been carefully tested and retested in a variety of ways and so using different ingredients could alter the recipe drastically."

No comments:

Post a Comment