Monday, July 1, 2013

Gluten Free Dutch Baby

Kudos to the creator of this great recipe here at herbanmomma.com.I made some variations to make this totally dairy free. Note: this recipe contains eggs. 
photo as noted from herbanmomma.com

Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 3-4
Ingredients
  • 2 Apples, diced (I use Granny Smiths)
  • 5 tbsp earth's balance butter or grapeseed oil
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (I use unsweetened rice milk or half it with coconut milk)
  • 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
  3. Add the diced apples and cinnamon and saute until just starting to get a little soft.
  4. While apples cook, place eggs in blender and mix for 30 seconds.
  5. Add milk, arrowroot, coconut flour, vanilla and salt to the blender and mix for another 30 seconds.
  6. When apples are cooked, add remaining 4 tbsp of butter to the cast iron pan and melt.
  7. Once butter melted, pour batter over the apples.
  8. Very carefully move the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 25-28 minutes.
  9. Toothpick inserted in middle should come out clean when cooked through.
  10. Cut into 6 slices and serve with drizzle of maple syrup.
Technically I think this recipe should “fall” after you remove it from the oven, just as a popover/soufflĂ© do, but mine don’t always do that and personally that doesn’t really matter to me, because it really does taste the same either way – so don’t worry if your Dutch Baby falls.
Whenever I whip this up, I usually throw some bacon in the over at the same time, but just be careful not to burn the bacon as it’s cooking a slightly higher temp than I’d normally use to cook bacon. I happened to have apples available this particular day so that’s what I used as my filling, but you can use the batter and get really creative with the fillings – Summer berries and/or bananas is also really tasty.
- See more at: http://www.herbanmomma.com/2013/06/cinnamon-apple-dutch-baby-gluten-free/#sthash.fGSZBvLK.NDpBD2jI.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment