Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Not Your Mama's Meatloaf {Gluten, Dairy and Egg Free}

(to save time I made the meatloaf into meatballs)
I confess. I used to hate meatloaf when I was growing up. I'm not even sure why, but something about it did not go down well with me. It wasn't until my friend made me her out-of-the-box meatloaf that I "got" why people can love it so much.  I have altered it a fair bit to make it allergy-friendly.  The last time I made it I made it into meatballs to reduce oven time. I have also put them in muffin tins to make mini meatloaves. It has a lot of ingredients, but if you use the food processor to do the chopping for you, this will go way faster. The gravy makes the dish. Every time I make it I question the nutmeg idea, but every time I put it in I am glad I did. If you are wanting something a little different, give this a try! (not to mention how many veggies and nutrients are hidden in there!) I serve this with mashed potatoes and grilled broccoli or cauliflower. I am posting this at Allergy-free Wednesdays.
MEATLOAF or MEATBALLS:
Saute in 3 T Olive Oil:
½ cup minced red onion
¾ cup minced green onion
¾ cup minced celery
½ cup minced carrots
½ cup minced green pepper
½ cup minced red pepper
1 T minced garlic
*set aside and cool
Combine:
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp nutmeg
*add to cooled vegetables
Mix in:
½ cup ketchup
2 pounds ground beef
¾ cup GF bread crumbs or crumbed gf crackers (I make mine by mincing it in the food processor)
For meatloaf:
Form into loaf and place on baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

For meatballs: 
Form into balls and cook at 400F for 20 minutes.
SHALLOT GRAVY:
Saute in oil:
1 T minced shallots
¼ tsp thyme
1 crumbled bay leaf
¼ tsp pepper
Add:
2 cups beef broth
1 T  Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
*heat until reduced by half.
*serve over meatloaf

2 comments:

  1. My family loves gravy! We'll have to give this a try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the gravy! It's a favorite of ours.

      Delete