Monday, December 8, 2014

Cauliflower Rounds

Almost Bananas makes these unique "pancakes" out of cauliflower.  Ever since my husband told me about fish pancakes that he accidentally ate on one of the Mercy Ships, I can't quite swallow a "savory pancake" idea, however title aside, these sound like a fun side dish to a meal.  I love how cauliflower gets caramelized when cooked with butter or olive oil.  I would do these with grapeseed oil and skip the eggs. I bet you could also bake these in the oven if you aren't interested in frying them. For those of us that have limited diets, these sort of recipes can be a fun way to change things up!
photo from Almost Bananas

Savoury Cauliflower Pancakes
inspired by Jessica
1 med head cauliflower (700g, 1lb8oz)
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp (unrefined)salt, or to taste
4 eggs
fat for frying (lard)
Process frozen or partially frozen cauliflower in a food processor until cauliflower is finely ground. Let the cauliflower sit until it begins to melt, about five minutes or so. With your hands (or a cheesecloth if you want), squeeze the water out and transfer to another bowl. Mix in chopped or pressed garlic, salt (I used unrefined sea salt which isn’t quite as salty as normal salt, add to taste!), and eggs.
Heat up the frying pan, I found med-low to low the best temperature, and put in fat (I used lard). You want a decent skiff on fat. Form ping pong ball sized balls and flatten, fry for four min on one side, or until golden, and flip. If the pancake falls apart, it needs to cook longer. Cook for another two minutes on the other side. The pancakes will soak up the oil, so make sure to add more to the pan before frying the next batch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment