|photo from the Kitchen Whisperer|
- 2 cups portabella mushrooms, cubed (smaller pieces); gills removed
- 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and divided
- 1 cup minced broccoli, fresh only
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 3 XL eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbl Panko or Gluten Free Panko
- 1 Tbl Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire *for full vegetarian style use one that does not contain anchovies
- 2 Tbl minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan *Look for vegetarian or vegan Parmesan cheese if you do not eat animal products
- Olive oil
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of black beans and mash with a masher (chunks are OK).
- Next, add in the mushrooms, the rest of the beans, broccoli, garlic, onion, Worcestershire and steak seasoning.
- Mix just until coated.
- Add in the eggs, cheese and bread crumbs and mix gently with a large spoon until the mixture is combined.
- Set aside while you place a medium non-stick pan over medium heat and add in 2 Tbl of oil.
- Once the oil starts to shimmer (about a minute or two), using dampened hands (the mixture will stick to you if you don’t), scoop a 1/2 cup of mixture into the palm of your hand and gently shape into a burger all the while pressing together. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If it doesn’t add just a Tbl more of bread crumbs.
- Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
- Serve with hummus, guacamole or steak sauce