Friday, May 13, 2016

{Gluten and Dairy Free} Chicken Tikka Masala in the Crockpot

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2012/02/slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala/

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Yield: 6 servings
I wanted something fun for dinner that would take me back to my time in India. This recipe from Cookingclassy.com did the trick and was super easy. I have adapted it (see things in parenthese) to make it dairy free. The chicken was a little pasty so I would probably cook it more like 6 hours on low and just make sure the chicken was cooked through. She suggests up to 3 tsps of cayenne. I did 1/2 tsp for my spicy intolerant kiddos and we all got quite a kick!  Even I thought it was comfortably spicy but at the top of my comfort range.  I would do 1/4 tsp or leave it out completely next time and add my own spice. I also put in a couple of cups of chopped spinach. This added a lot of nutrition and didn't change the flavor.
photo from Cooking Classy.com

Ingredients
  • Ingredients:
  • 5 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 lbs)
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp freshly, finely grated ginger
  • 1 (29 oz) can tomato puree (I recommend Contadina Brand)
  • 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used Soy-free Veganaise)
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp Garam Masala
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 Tbsp paprika
  • 2 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1-3 tsp cayenne pepper* (I used 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup heavy cream (I used coconut milk from the can)
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • Prepared Long Grain White Rice or Basmati Rice
  • Chopped cilantro, for serving
Directions
  • In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until combine. Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken followed then cover chicken with remaining sauce. Add in 2 bay leaves. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
  • In a mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch, pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice. Remove bay leaves and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
  • Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
Notes
*I put 1 -3 tsp because it is all depending on your heat preference. If you don't like spicy foods you could even omit this ingredient. I go for 3 tsp but I like my food really spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment