Friday, February 17, 2017

Soy-free, Sugar Free, Citrus-free Teriyaki Chicken

This is the kind of recipe you gobble down before you even think about taking a photo. Thanks again to Rachel Ray, I tried her amazing teriyaki recipe (found here). She said it was the most downloaded recipe of 2011. She made hers in the crockpot. I made it in a pan at the last minute with chicken breasts.

8 chicken legs, thighs attached (I used chicken breasts when cooking in a frying pan)
3 TBS cornstarch (or potato starch if you can't have corn)
salt and pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 bottle teriyaki sauce (see my recipe below)
3 TBS ginger grated or 3 tsp dry
3 cloves garlic grated or minced
3 TBS honey
6 scallions, white and green parts sliced on the bias, but kept separate
2 cups rice
2 cups water
1 TBS sesame seeds, toasted (I omitted these)
1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 cucumber, cut thin into matchsticks
1 large carrot, cut thin into matchsticks
3 TBS cilantro
optional: 1 small bundle of broccoli cut into pieces

Teriyaki Sauce
2/3 cup chicken broth and salt (originally soy sauce)
1/4 cup pomegranate juice (originally sherry)
2 TBS maple sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic
(adapted from all-recipes.com)

Preparation
In a large bowl (I use a plate) dust the chicken with cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Heat medium sized skillet over medium high heat with about 1 TBS of EVOO and brown the chicken legs (if you are cooking in a pan cook it until almost done on a slightly lower heat)

In a slow cooker, add the browned chicken legs along with the teriyaki sauce, ginger, garlic, honey and white parts of the scallions (I added this to the pan when the chicken was almost done when cooking it on the stovetop). Put the lid on and cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours. When the chicken is about 20 mintues away from being down, add the rice, water, 2 TBS of EVOO and salt to a medium sized pot with a lid. (I started the rice first, and added the other teriyaki type ingredients to my pan of chicken when the chicken was almost done and let simmer for 5 minutes or so).

Bring the pot of rice up to a boil, then drop it down to a simmer. Put the lid on and simmer for 10-15 minutes. When the rice is done, fluff with a work and fold in the green parts of the scallions and sesame seeds (I omitted them). I have found the greatest secret of rice on the stove top is don't lift the lid! Jasmine rice is my favorite.

To serve, place the rice on a plate, put the chicken and sauce drizzled over the top with cucumber, carrot, cucumber and red pepper in a nice pile on top of that. Sprinkle with cilantro. I lightly sauteed some broccoli with the carrot to put on top as well. I seem to tolerate cooked carrots better than raw ones).It was fantastic! I usually can only handle one serving of left overs after a meal before I'm done with a meal for awhile. I enjoyed eating this for days! I also add hot pepper flakes on top since I love spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment