Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tired of the Same Old Food?

Need some inspiration? I just got back from Manna Mills and thought I'd share what I bought and recipes I plan on using . . . in hopes of inspiring someone with something new to eat. I can't eat dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, or nuts so these ideas might help you if you are in the same boat (or just are eliminating one of these)

First of all, Manna Mills. If you haven't been to this little old health food store in Mountlake Terrace, I'd highly recommend it!!! They have bulk just about anything to buy, which can save you a fortune, from agave, to herbs, to gluten free biscuit mix, to gluten free oats, to extra virgin olive oil, to yeast, to beans, to GF pasta. You can save a fortune buy buying from their bulk section alone. Right now if you spend over $50 you get a $5 coupon for your next visit. They even have samples to try.  Their other prices are maybe just slightly more than Whole Foods (some maybe a little less) but with all I save on the bulk I figure it's worth buying a thing or two when I'm there.  They also have great customer service. If you are a newbie and need someone to come along side you to help you figure out what you can eat, I would try going there.

This is what I bought and what I plan to make:


  • Alive & Radiant Foods: Kale Krunch. I bought Cheezy Chipotle flavor of these crunchy kale chips. I gobbled down a sample and had to check to make sure it truly was dairy free. These things are so cheesy, they make the kale  seem like junk food. I also tried a ranch flavored one (warning: it had soy. I was so excited I assumed it was soy free like the others and scarfed it before I checked). The ranch is AMAZING.  I must do a post about these all on their own later. I found this recipe and hope to make my own at some point. 
  • Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk: I am going to make some whipped cream. Go here to find out how.
  • Theo Chocolate Bar with Coconut: I must write a post on this later. Let me me just say this dairy free, soy free dark chocolate was good enough to almost make this chocolate-deprived-gal cry. SO GOOD!
  • Bulk Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch and Brown Rice flour. I bought  a ton of this to make pancakes and waffles using Sylvanna's recipe here. These are the best I've ever had. I find I'm craving them every weekend! I must post the waffle recipe soon.
  • Bulk Garbonzo Flour to make GF Socca Bread. This recipe here is so easy and you can whip up bread like it's nothing. It makes me feel like a pioneer woman, without much effort. That's what I'm talking about. :0)
  • Coconut Aminos: This is a soy substitute.  I have a post coming up about this. I saw rave reviews about how this is just like soy except with less salt, and a little sweeter. I am thinking dipping sauces will be delightful!
  • Bulk Hazelnuts: These are to make dairy free nutella here. My kids haven't had nutella before. I think they had better get ready for it to blow their mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment