Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Experiments in the Kitchen-Part 3


Allergy-friendly Smoky Kale Chips

I posted this recipe previously and recently was finally able to try it. While I was making dinner I threw some of these in the oven. I did a double batch to make it worth my while. I added 1/2 tsp garlic powder to each batch. From what I read, timing is everything with these chips. If you do it too long until they are brown, they can be bitter. So I set the timer a bit early and felt them with my hand periodically to catch them when they just turned crispy. It worked! A few in the batch were a little under done, but that's ok. I would say it had a little too much salt, so the next time I make them I will reduce the salt a little bit. The garlic definitely added a nice flavor. My kids and husband loved them. Can you believe kale can be something you crave to snack on? It's almost too good to be true. What impressed me the most is how much they cost compared to a bag of pre-made ones that  I bought at Manna Mills. At manna mills I paid about $6 a bag. I made 5 times that amount of kale chips tonight.  I figure if I were to buy what I made it would have cost $25-$30.  The kale cost me $1.69. Seriously.  The other ingredients cost hardly anything.  Not only did I save a fortune, they took hardly any time to make and were SO EASY!  I never thought I'd love snacking on kale, but these kale chips are the bomb. The ones I bought at manna mills had some nutritional yeast added to give a "cheesy" flavor. You might want to try that, too. 

Here's the original post:
These kale chips here sound dynamite.  I will use McCormick's smoked paprika because it is gluten free. Did you know some brands add gluten to herbs to keep them from sticking together? I was disappointed to find that out. If you want to print this recipe easily you can go to their site. In the reviews on the foodnetwork site several people said to cut down the salt or omit it. One person said this, "These are amazing! Just like other reviews, don't expect them to taste like potato chips. Be careful not to burn. I found that if I cooked them just until dry, and turn off the oven and leave them in there for about 15 min. they finish crisping without getting brown."

Total Time:
15 min
Cook
15 min
Yield:
8 cups
Level:
Easy

DIRECTIONS

Remove the center ribs and stems from 1 bunch kale; tear the leaves into 3-to-4-inch pieces. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread on 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F until browned around the edges and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
Per serving (about 2 cups): Calories 60; Fat 4 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 170 mg; Carbohydrate 6 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment