Friday, May 11, 2012

Make Your Own Allergy-Friendly Taco Seasoning

I love tacos, fajitas, nachos and burritos. This guy on allrecipes.com has a great combo of spices (here) I have little ones so I left out the crushed red pepper flakes for their sake. I love needing a fire extinguisher when I eat something spicy,  but my kids definitely do not. I used the ratio of about 1 TBS to 1 pound of ground beef and it was plenty spicy for us. I usually make my own blend, but I really liked his. If you want an easy dinner you can put a serving size in a bunch of snack bags. Then when you want tacos, burritos or nachos you can just brown the meat, add 1/2 cup water with the spices, and simmer for 20 minutes.  We serve ours with cilantro, lettuce, tomato, Daiya non-dairy cheese, avocado, salsa, red pepper slivers, and guacamole (salsa mixed with mashed avocado). Delish!

Lately, we have been going for a run right before dinner. I have been making most things in advance so that when we get home dinner is ready in a brief amount of time. Tonight I chopped up the toppings while I was browning the meat. When I put it on to simmer we headed out for our run. Dinner was ready when we returned! Now that's what I'm talking about.

Note: If you want this to be really inexpensive buy bulk herbs at Fred Meyer, Costco or a local health food store. It's way cheaper than buying spices in the glass bottles. To buy $4 of spices (how much a small spice jar typically costs) you could usually buy a pint or so of spice in bulk. I write what the spice is on the twist tag, and then transfer it to ziplocs or reused spice jars at home.


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

  1. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment