Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Secret for Dairy-free Frosting

When I make frosting I use Earth's Balance non-dairy spread (they have a soy free one now, too!) or Spectrum palm shortening (sometimes half EB and half PS) with rice milk, vanilla  and powdered sugar. I use ratios just like in normal frosting. However,  I have found the biggest secret with the frosting is adding enough powdered sugar to keep it thick and not runny. If it's just even a bit too much on the liquid side of things it turns runny later. I've found that if I add  just enough powdered sugar to make it quite stiff, you can't even tell that it's dairy free. It's thick enough for decorating even. The secret is putting in more powdered sugar and making it "thicker" than you might normally think. (but keep it spreadable!) Err on the side of too much powdered sugar as opposed to, too much rice milk.  If you want sugar free frosting go to the chocolate cake recipe to see how it's done.

Here is an example of the ratios from allrecipes.com

  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup Spectrum Palm shortening
  • 5 tablespoons rice milkmilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

No comments:

Post a Comment