Wednesday, January 20, 2016

What's for Dinner Tonight? {Gluten and Dairy Free} Tacos

I love a good taco just about any time. It's one of those comfort foods that reminds me of before I changed my diet. It is even the top 8 allergens free. I am posting this at Allergy-free Wednesdays.

for the meat:
1.5 pounds hamburger
1 and 1/2 TBS gluten free Taco Seasoning
1/4 cup water

Optional toppings:
refried beans (Safeway Brand is gluten-free) or make your own (so easy!)
chopped tomato
chopped lettuce
chopped avocado
Daiya jack cheese grated or Daiya Havarti Jalapeno and Garlic
black olives(sliced)
pico de gallo salsa (you can use pomegranate juice instead of lime. I buy some fresh pico de gallo from Fred Meyer)
guacamole (I just mix 2 mashed avacados with 1/4 cup salsa and a squeeze of lemon or dash of pomegranate juice)
for Sour Cream I use Vegenaise (tastes like sour cream!)
chopped green onions

for the shells:
Ortega Taco Shells (gluten free, but contain soy)
or Mission Corn tortillas sauteed in oil until crispy if you are soy free
or Old El Paso Taco Shells

Directions:
Brown meat in a saucepan. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. While this is cooking, I chop and make the other ingredients.  Sautee tortillas in oil or load up the ready made ones. You an also put these ingredients on a plate and crumble gf tortillas on top (I like Que Pasa) to make a taco salad! Yum! If you want to make Dairy Free Nacho Sauce, this makes great Nachos, too.

2 comments: