Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Apologies!


So I was working on a recipe that I am really excited about involving grilled pizza (stay tuned for the big reveal on Tuesday) when I discovered a huge error in this previous post! I am so sorry. 
I had originally put 3/4 cup water as an ingredient, because I had doubled the recipe, but had forgotten to do the math on that one item when posting it. I really hope that if you tried this grilled pizza, that you figured that out and added more water. Below is the revised version! I can't wait to share my new recipe on Tuesday!
This morning I saw this recipe here on Good Morning America by the chef Emeril. It inspired me to try to make my own version of the prosciutto grilled pizza that seems to be all the rage in New York. But wait! Even if you don't want specialty unusual pizza pies, please keep reading. I discovered the first gluten and dairy free pizza dough recipe that I can put on the grill! I have been wanting to grill a pizza, but most of the pizza dough I have made is so sticky you have to smear it in the pan. But not this recipe that I found in the cookbook "Cooking for Isaiah" by Silvana Nardone (I'd highly recommend it!). I changed the ingredients a bit, but she held the best ratio that made this possible. Even if you don't want prosciutto pizza, you can put anything you want on this crust and throw it on the grill! I bet that grilled veggies and/or chicken would be great with the pesto.

This makes 3 small pizzas.
Crust
2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch
1 and 1/3 cup potato starch
2 packages gluten free yeast
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 egg whites slightly beaten (I used 4 eggs worth of Ener-G egg replacer)
4 TBS olive oil plus more for brushing
1 and 1/4 cup  warm water
up close

Pesto
Dairy free pesto recipe here. Reduce the salt a little bit if you are putting this on with the prosciutto. The prosciutto is quite salty.

Prosciutto (or toppings of choice)

Preheat oven to 400F
1. In a large bowl mix flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the egg whites (or replacer), olive oil and water. Using a wooden spoon beat until the dough pulls away from the edges of the bowl.

2. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and  add a bit of flour until it resembles the texture of "regular" (wheat) pizza dough.  Press or roll into the size of three separate pizzas. I put them on wax paper, heavily dusted with brown rice flour. You should be able to lift them off the wax paper without too much trouble. If you can't, add a little more flour to the outside of the dough.

3. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

4. Put on a greased pan in the oven that is preheated to 400F. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle GF corn meal on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes until fairly firm but not brown.

5. Add the pesto and prosciutto (or your desired toppings). Heat the grill to low heat. Put the half cooked pizza on for 5-10 minutes making sure the crust does not get too brown. The key with this gluten-free crust is cooking it in the oven first so it is firm enough to go on the grill.

Note: From what I read, Prosciutto can be eaten raw. However, we sauteed it in a frying pan until it was cooked. Something about raw meat didn't go down well with me.

I am posting this on Allergy-free Wednesdays here. Check out all of the other recipes!





No comments:

Post a Comment