Friday, October 10, 2014

How I Plan for Food for a Vacation

A question I often get is: how do you travel with food allergies/intolerances? When planning for a vacation I try to keep it fairly simple.

First, I write down each day with, "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" written with ample space to write underneath what I plan on eating. For travel days (days to and from somewhere) I typically go with easy things like cold pizza, bacon and "cheese" biscuits, hummus and pretzels, fresh fruit, etc. with plenty of snacks if my meals are lacking. Some snacks I have are GF pretzels and raisins, my favorite pico de gallo chips, apple sauce, muffins, etc. I try to keep in mind the path we are driving. For example, on our way to visit my family I often grab my favorite fish and chips in Portland, Oregon (go here). I find it helps to research bigger cities you may pass through for stores like Whole Foods, or allergy-friendly restaurants (the link I just included is a wealth of places you can go!). Just one hot meal, can be a nice change to your packed goodies. 

Then for the time that I am staying somewhere I used to freeze meals and take them with me. Now I typically stay at a hotel, or vacation rental that has a full kitchen. The meals I plan reflect that.   I like to have two things that I can have for breakfast such as granola and raisins with rice milk for one breakfast meal, and french toast with bacon for another. Then I alternate these. For a hotel without a full kitchen the granola works really well (or other gluten free cereal). Another good option is to bring a blender, bananas, and my dairy, soy and gluten free protein powder. This goes well with gluten free cereal to hold me over on the road. 

Then for lunches and dinner I like to plan things that I can make fast. I tend to buy a big thing of hamburger and then the first night make, taco meat, hamburgers, and spaghetti. This provides quick meals. I bring the seasoning for spaghetti and tacos with me so I only need to buy the other stuff. I also tend to bring brown rice pasta with me in case where I am going doesn't have it. The next night I make several things with chicken, like Thyme chicken. By making things in batches, it really reduces my cooking time. I only have to reheat it later.  This way I don't feel like I am cooking the whole time.
Who wants to cook like crazy on vacation?

Sample menu from recent trip:
Make pizza for dinner Monday night. Take pizza on the trip.
Tues
Dinner-BLT's to take on the road
Wed
Breakfast-Granola and raisins
Lunch- Salmon Sandwich or pizza
Dinner-burgers

Thurs
Breakfast-french toast and bacon
Lunch-burgers
Dinner-Tacos

Fri
Breakfast-French toast and bacon
Lunch-Chili
Dinner- Thyme Chicken (make fried chicken)

Sat
Breakfast-French toast and bacon
Lunch- Fried Chicken and fries
Dinner- Chili

Sun
Breakfast- Granola and raisins
Lunch- Hummus and pretzels
Dinner-Fish and Chips

For more traveling tips please go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment